One of the "Empire States" biggest sleepers may not play for the biggest high school football…
U-M Camp: GBW Camp-eve List
The 2006 Michigan Summer Camp is fast approaching -- it starts Sunday. To repeat from last week's pre-camp report: it will be hard to match the talent level at the 2005 Michigan Summer Camp, the best in recent memory with Ryan Mallett, Chris Forcier, Keith Nichol, Ryan Houston, Henry Hynoski, Kenneth Hemmingway, Taurian Washington, Nicholas Toon, Josh Oglesby, Josh Marks, Joseph Barksdale, Mike Garrity, Eugene Clifford, Ronald Johnson, Dionte Allen -- and those were just the juniors! Add in last year's seniors Pat Devlin, Neil Caudle, Kevan Smith, David Cone, Obi Ezeh, Josh Chichester, Robby Parris, Greg Mathews, Dedrick Epps, Bartley Webb, Connor Smith, Eric Olsen, Alex Stadler, Perry Dorrestein, Cobrani Mixon, Quintin Patilla, Eric Gordon, A.J. Wallace.
That bunch of campers will be hard, if not impossible, for any future U-M Camp to measure up to!
However, that said, there is a pretty strong group of headliners (those holding U-M scholarship offers) who have said this spring that they are attending ... if most of the following show then the the "Senior Headliners" would in fact beat last years!
RISING SENIOR CAMPER HEADLINERS
*NEW* - U-M Super-Commitment Ryan Mallett will once again, like last summer, be around all week. Look for him to room with 'this year's Mallett' -- another top Texan undergrad (see below).
- Ill. RB Robert Hughes from Chicago Hubbard. He will make an unofficial visit during camp week.
*NEW* - Pa. WR Toney Clemons from New Kensington Valley. He'll make a camp visit on Sunday.
- Instate WR Taurian Washington from Orchard Lake St. Mary's. Note: In GBW's opinion, Taurian is the most like candidate for U-M's seventh-and-next verbal commitment ... keep him in mind during camp week.
- Instate DL Joseph Barksdale from Detroit Cass Tech.
- Ill. DE Josh Brent from Bloomington Central Catholic (Monday).
*NEW* - Ohio OLB/S Andrew Dailey (6-3, 215, 4.7) from Massillon Washington. ND (camped, ran a 4.1 sec. shuttle), PSU and Florida (camped, ran a sub-4.6 40 and was offered) lead, with U-M (will camp, expected to get camp offer) and OSU (will camp) close behind. He has moved up to 'headliner' status.
**NEW** - Super instate CB Ronald Johnson from Muskegon. He is expected to pop in on Wednesday.
- North Carolina CB Marcus Gilchrist. He will make an unofficial visit during camp week.
*NEW* - Calif. CB Michael Williams from Ventura St. Bonaventure (Wed./Thurs.) -- he supposedly has his ticket purchased -- we'll see if he shows up as scheduled.
- Ohio CB/S Eugene Clifford from Cincinnati Colerain.
- Mich. CB Dionte Allen from Orchard Lake St. Mary's will camp for a day.
- Texas CB Troy Wolfolk from Sugarland, Texas.
- Mich. CB Boubacar Cissoko from Cass Tech. The teammate of Joe Barksdale is just 5-9, but may be the top rising junior in the state.
*NEW* - Texas OT J.B. Shugarts from Klein. From the same high school as Wolverine OT Mark Ortmann, the 6-7, 300 pound Shugarts is already receiving press as the next great Texas OT ... and he has strong interest in Michigan. He could be 'The Ryan Mallett' of this year's camp -- IN FACT, look for the Texans to room together next week ...
OTHER POSSIBLE HEADLINER-CAMPERS
- Also in addition, we'll see if Robert Hughes brings along his friend DE Martez Wilson from Chicago Simeon.
- Also in addition, we'll see if Calif. DB/WR Zion Babb from Alhambra makes an appearance -- they are trying to work it out.
- Also in addition, we'll see if Md. WR/Ath Joe Haden from Fort Washington makes his U-M summer unofficial visit during camp week.
-- one can also assume that most if not all of the verbal commitments will be around: WR/TE Martell Webb, FB Vince Helmuth and DL Ryan VanBergen for sure, plus, S Artis Chambers and possibly LB/S Jerimy Finch.
Aside from these top Headliners there are many other Michigan targets who have said they were attending -- many of whom will be fighting for a U-M scholarship offer (note: it can be assumed that some if not most of the instate kids below would commit if offered, and some of the out-of-staters as well):
CAMPERS TO KEEP AN EYE ON (for possible offers, etc.)
- Instate FB/LB Brandon Reynolds from Battle Creek Central.
- Several Warren (Ohio) Harding kids, including RB David Herron.
- Pa. RB Marcel Farrish from Pittsburgh Woodland Hills.
- Instate WR Mark Dell from Farmington Hills Harrison.
- Ill. WR Charles Brown (5-11, 175) from Chicago Robeson. He has offers from Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois and Stanford.
- Pa. WR Derek Moye from Rochester.
- Ohio TE Kyle Hubbard from Cleveland St. Edward (Tues.).
- Instate TE Rocky Weaver from Battle Creek Harper Creek.
- Instate TE/DE Cameron Joplin from Ann Arbor Pioneer.
- Ill. OC Dave Molk from Lemont. The 6-2, 270-pound center doesn't have a U-M offer at this time, but holds offers from Iowa, Iowa State, Northwestern, Minnesota, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, Miami of Ohio, Northern Illinois and Vanderbilt.
- Mass. OT Chris Shannon from Andover Phillips Academy. He has a Maryland offer.
- Instate OT Mike VanDerMeulen from Marshall.
- Instate OL Ryan Wheat from Flint Carmen-Ainesworth.
- Instate OL Darrell Davis-Budanauro from East Grand Rapids.
- Pa. OL Gino Gradkowski from Pittsburgh.
- Instate DL/TE Josh Rooks from Holland Christian (who currently holds Purdue, Northwestern offers).
- Ill. DL Darius Scott from North Chicago.
- Indiana DE Ryan Kerrigan from Muncie Central. He attended the January Junior Day.
- Pa DL Zane Parr from Williamsport. He attended the January Junior Day.
- Ill. DE Mike Garrity from Batavia. He attended two U-M games last fall and has an Illinois offer.
- Instate DL Cameron Merchant from Lansing.
- N.Y. LB Marquis Kirkland from Syracuse Henninger.
- Ohio LB Jermalle Hines from Cleveland Glenville.
- Mich. LB Blair Hollis from Orchard Lake St. Mary's.
- Ohio OLB Greg Jones from Cincinnati Moeller.
- Pa. CB Jared Williams from Pittsburgh Perry.
- Ohio S David Arnold from Copley Ohio. He will attend on Monday. The son of the former Wolverine DB of the same name, Arnold attended several U-M games last fall ... he has Syracuse and Illinois offers.
-- Ohio DB's Marcus English, C.J. Peake ( a LB/DB) from Dayton Trotwood Madison.
-- Ill. CB Michael Bolden from Evanston. He plays QB for his high school team but is a future college CB.
-- Ohio DB Eric Haislah from Cleveland Glenville.
This is course is still a preliminary list -- the actual attendees will likely include most-but-not-all of the kids listed above, and will include some additional surprise attendees as well. Stay tuned!
GoBlueWolverine.com Recommended Stories
Dr. Roto Video: Week 8 Strategy
Should you keep Fred Jackson or cut him? Should you cut Zac Stacy or trade him? Each team requires its own strategy based on different circumstances and Dr. Roto does his best to clarify your…Read More
Who's Hot? Week 8: Trevone, Pitt D, Kirby
The stud teams, players, coaches and trends from Week 8Read More
National Anthem Played with a Gun!
Musical targets? Yes, this guy plays the national anthem while shooting musical targets.Read More
The Haunted History of the White House
The Executive Mansion isn't just home to the First Family. It's also home to a variety of...ghosts.Read More
Deer Attacks Man!
Man attempts to rope deer and immediately regrets it.Read More