Jonas Mouton and Michigan - The Status

Jonas Mouton and Michigan - The Status

When former Michigan defensive backs coach Ron English decided to pursue an offer from the Chicago Bears of the NFL, one of the main concerns Wolverine fans had was how his departure would affect the decision of recently signed safety Jonas Mouton of Venice, Calif., High School. Mouton's mom spoke with GoBlueWolverine.com about Jonas' situation.

During his Signing Day press conference, Michigan head coach Lloyd Carr told the story of how five-star safety Jonas Mouton of Venice, Calif., High School kept postponing his decision. "He told us during his official visit in September that he would decide in two weeks," Carr said.

Two weeks turned into almost five months as the No. 6 safety in the country according to Scout.com eventually took his recruitment all the way to the end, even taking a last-minute visit to his mom's alma-mater of Texas, before he finally inked his name on a Michigan Letter of Intent on Feb. 1.

One of the main factors in his selection of Michigan was the relationship developed with former U-M defensive backs coach Ron English. When English announced shortly after Signing Day that he was leaving Michigan for the NFL's Chicago Bears, Wolverine fans became concerned about whether the top prospect would stick with the Maize and Blue. His mom told GoBlueWolverine.com on Tuesday that her son will be in Ann Arbor after he finishes high school. "Now the big thing is graduation," Duran Mouton said. "We didn't know that Ron was looking elsewhere when Jonas sent in his letter. But we know that coaches move around, and he is happy with Michigan and he is looking forward to going there. I guess they want him back there in July."

Mrs. Mouton said she and her husband will accompany Jonas when he leaves for Ann Arbor in order to help him get settled in his new home.

GoBlueWolverine.com Recommended Stories


Up Next


Tweets