"It was cool," Johnson said. "It was real good. They didn't say too much different than they did the other times I've been up there … but it was still good."
"Me and my dad had a good time," Allen later said. "They really had everything planned out for us. First Coach Carr talked to us about academics. After that, an academic advisor got up to talk to you about what they do to keep the kids competitive academically. Then we went to the new academic center and they took us on a tour around there and showed us everything it has to offer. Then they took us around Schembechler. Then it was time to go over to the game."
In between listening to the various speakers, going on the tours, and watching the games, the players frequently mingled with members of the coaching staff. Both of the talented defensive back prospects spent a much of their time on campus chatting with their would-be position coach.
"I talked to Coach English it seemed like all day," Allen recalled. "He was asking if I could play basketball. He wanted to see one of my tapes. He talked to my dad a lot too."
"He was telling me he couldn't wait for me to come," Johnson said earlier. "I told him I might just commit so I could go ahead and take the stress off of him. (laughing). Me and Dionte. Coach Carr said he couldn't wait for me to commit either (laughing)."
Johnson was clearly kidding about ending the process in the immediate future. Both he and Allen indicated that they wanted to take a look around the country before pulling themselves out of the recruiting rat race.
"I told him I getting closer to a decision, but I'm going to go ahead and wait," Allen said. "I know Vince committed. I know him. He used to play basketball with Al (Legion). He used to play basketball with all of us. I'm not ready to do that yet though. I think I'm going to take a few trips before I make a commitment."
"I'm going to take a lot of visits," Johnson said. "I want to go down south a little bit and visit so I can get into some of that good weather down there. I'm able to go to camps now too. They said they are going to release me (to play; he's recovering from an ACL suffered early last season) in May. They said I'm ahead of schedule. I'm going to go to Michigan, Ohio State, and them I'm going to do a 7-on-7 camp again. It was at Notre Dame last year. It might be at Penn State this year."
With summer camps and official visits still a number of months away, each youngster will be focusing on learning about some of the schools on their lists by attending a number of junior days. "I'll probably go to Ohio State's," Allen said. "That's sometime in February. Of course, I'm going to go to Michigan State's too."
"I couldn't make it to Notre Dame's because I was studying for my ACT,"
Johnson said. "I was thinking about going to Ohio State's. I'll figure
out if I'll be going pretty soon."